Welcome to my little corner of the web!
I'm guessing you stopped by to find out a little more about me.....so here it goes! (and if you want even MORE info about why I created A Menu for You, check out THIS BLOG POST.)
mom of two
almost empty nester (not quite sure how to feel about that!)
married 24 years
binge watcher (but really trying to read more!)
sun lover (by far my favorite season is summer.....sand in the toes, flip flops and sunscreen all. day. long
and California girl at heart (even though my home for the last 14 years has been the PNW).
So, how did this website come about?
Weeeeellll.....do you want the long version, or the short one? Ok, who am I kidding? If you know me at all, you know I am pretty much incapable of giving the short version of ANY story.
I had always planned on being a stay at home mom, so after our first was born that's what I did.
Although, I'm honestly not quite sure why they call it "stay at home" when I was pretty much everywhere but home. The park, the doctor, the grocery store, back to the park, mommy and me group, another run to the grocery store......well, you get the idea.
But kids grow up (far too fast, if you ask me!), and mine were getting to the age where they didn't really need me as much. My school volunteer and chaperone days were behind me, and carpool days were coming to an end (so long third row!!).
I wanted to create something for me. Some type of creative outlet around something I love to do.
And cooking is what I love. It's what I've always loved.
I remember pretending to host a cooking show in my mom's kitchen was 8. It was called "My favorite sandwiches" and I chatted a lot about my love for mayo and bologne. (gotta love the 70's!)
Anyway, back to cooking.
I've always loved to cook and menu planning has played a BIG role in how I cook and how I approach cooking.
And that's how A Menu for You was born.
I created A Menu for You, to help set people on the path to menu planning. To show how menu planning can save time, lower stress ('cuz who wants to constantly wonder what's for dinner), save money (all those runs through the drive thru and hectic stops at the market cost money!), AND when you menu plan you will eat healthier (because you will have planned out those healthy meals).
I've created menus and recipes you can enjoy around your own table. Along with showing the value of menu planning, I also want to take a little page from the European way of eating. Actually sitting down and enjoying a meal, chatting with whoever happens to be at the table, setting aside meaningful time for conversation, and not rushing through so you can get to the next thing on your "to do" list.
As you scroll through the pages of my website, whether you enjoy the recipes and meals with yourself, a few friends or a huge gathering, I hope you remember to eat slowly, laugh loudly and save room for seconds!
My philosophy about cooking is VERY simple:
Menu planning is IT. Menu planning saves you time, lowers your stress and saves you money.
Recipes are guidelines -- you can always tweak and change them according to what you like to eat, and what ingredients you have on hand.
You don't need fancy equipment, or to spend countless hours in the kitchen to prepare something delicious
Enjoying a meal with those you love is an amazing way to refuel your soul.
And, last, but definitely NOT least......I don't believe in diets. I believe in the 80/20 rule (and some weeks the 70/30!). I focus on seasonal, whole, organic ingredients, with some sweetness thrown in.
5 things you should know about me:
1. I'm a 4th generation California (making my kiddos 5th generation!) and was born and raised in Los Angeles. Even though I LOVE living in the PNW, I do miss the sunshine (especially from February to July!) and really good, authentic Mexican food.
2. Growing up, the majority of my summers and vacations were spent visiting my grandparents ranch near Santa Barbara. My most favorite memories are horseback riding, making homemade jam with my aunt, mom and cousins and eating fresh tart blackberries right from the vine.
3. Before I moved to Seattle, I had never lived outside Los Angeles. Ever. To say it was a challenge would be a HUGE understatement, but now, 13 years later, I can't imagine living anywhere else.
4. My husband is from Hawaii (born and raised!) and we dream about someday moving there.
5. When I'm not in the kitchen cooking, I'm binge watching (current favorite is The Crown and Handmaid's Tale) or reading (I'm really trying to read more, so my new routine is to read before bed instead of check email and social media).
Want to stay in touch? I'd love to have you join my inner circle and be the first to know about the latest blog posts, menus and tips.
Click HERE to get my free weekly newsletter! As a bonus (and a thank you for signing up) you'll also my FREE Perfectly Stocked Kitchen Checklist.