A new twist on coffee cake that turns into a Summer delight.
Cherry Creme Coffee Cake
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 30 minutes minutes
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 cups pitted red cherries
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut softened butter into the flour mixture (willbe crumbly). Reserve one cup of this mixture to save for topping.
- Mix eggs and cream. Slowly add to the flour mixture and blend until well incorporated. Add salt and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased springform pan.
- Meanwhile, place cherries and lemon juice into a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and heat cherries until they release their juice and come to a simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.
- In a small bowl, whisk granulated sugar with cornstarch; pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, and thoroughly combine. Return to low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until the filling is thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Pour cherry pie filling over batter in the springform pan.
- Top pie filling with the 1 cup of reserved flour mixture, spreading evenly to cover.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until brown and toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove cake from the springform.
For the Icing:
- Mix together melted butter and vanilla. Slowly stir in powdered sugar and cinnamon. Add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Stir until creamy and smooth. Add more cream 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake and serve. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!