This recipe features favorite summer vegetables, but feel free to swap in others as you wish. Tomatoes, bell peppers and your favorite squash would be great additions!
For a vegetarian version, substitute 1 cup of additional vegetables for the chicken.
Chicken and Summer Vegetable Enchiladas VerdePrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 oz. baby spinach, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breast (use precooked rotisserie chicken to make this recipe even easier!)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 jar (1 lb. 9 oz.) green enchilada sauce (I'm a huge fan of Trader Joe's)
- 12 corn tortillas, each about 6 3/4 inches in diameter
- Serve with: guacamole, sour cream, and chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
In a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, warm the 2 Tbs. oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Fold in the spinach and chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes. Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese.
Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada starter into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and spread evenly.
Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil. Stack 6 of the tortillas on a large microwavable plate and cover with damp paper towels. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Place 1/4 cup of the chicken-vegetable mixture along one edge of a tortilla and roll it up. Place the enchilada, seam side down, in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, heating the remaining tortillas in the same manner and arranging the enchiladas so they line up snugly in the pan. Pour the remaining enchilada starter on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is warmed through and the cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and avocado slices.