Stuffed chile wedged into a fold of fluffy eggs.
- 2 medium poblano chiles (sometimes labeled pasilla chiles)
- 3 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 baby potatoes, quartered and sliced paper thin
- 2 to 3 ounces fresh goat cheese (aka chevre), crumbled
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or chives, finely chopped
- 5 large eggsSalsa, for the garnish
- Crema or sour cream, for the garnish
- Ripe avocado, for the garnish
- Heat a gas burner to high and place the chiles directly on the flame. Char, turning occasionally with tongs, until the chiles blacken and blister on all sides. Remove to a large heatproof bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap or a baking sheet and let the chiles steam until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a small nonstick pan. Stir in potato, season with salt, and cook potatoes until charred and browned. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, scallions, and herbs until evenly combined. Taste and add more salt or pepper, as needed.
- When chiles are cool enough to handle, rinse them under slowly running water and gently rub off skin, being careful not to tear the chiles. Trim off stem of chile, pull out seeds, and season all over with salt and pepper. Stuff each chile with half the cheese mixture, being careful not to tear them, then set the chiles aside.
- Heat broiler to high. Whisk eggs until smooth and evenly combined. Heat another 1 teaspoon of the oil in an small nonstick frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add half of the eggs and swirl to coat the pan. As the eggs start to set, use a rubber spatula to gently push aside a small patch of cooked egg, then tilt the pan so that uncooked egg fills in the gap. Repeat, working your way around the pan until the eggs are set across the pan and the top is still a bit wet.
- Place the chile back on one side of the pan and fold the eggs over the chile. Gently push the folded side of the omelet into the chile and place under the broiler. When omelet is puffed and just set, remove, garnish, as desired, with salsa, crema, and/or avocado, and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining oil, eggs, and chile to make second omelet.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!