Grilling the kale transforms it into a crispy, crunchy earthy bite that is mellowed with sweet plums, tangy vinaigrette and creamy ricotta. This is a great light side dish to balance a heartier main course, like pork or steak.
Grilled Kale Salad with Plums and Ricotta
No ratings yet
Total Time: 18 minutes minutes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium plums, halved, pitted, thinly sliced
- 12 large or 16 small curly kale leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh whole milk ricotta
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, thyme, and honey. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Add plums and toss to coat; transfer plums to a plate.
- Separate the kale leaves from the stalks, and discard the stalks. Spread the kale in a layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil and then toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. You can grill the kale on a gas or charcoal grill (if you use this method, leave the leaves on the stalks until after the kale is grilled, then separate leaves from the stalks once the kale has cooled off), or use a grill pan on the stove over medium heat. You’ll want to grill the leaves, turning them once, until the edges are nicely charred and the kale is nice and crispy, about 2-3 minutes
- Divide ricotta among plates; season with salt and pepper. Give the vinaigrette another stir. Tear larger kale leaves into pieces (leave smaller leaves whole). Place leaves in a large bowl and toss with some of the vinaigrette. Divide leaves among plates. Top with plums and drizzle additional vinaigrette over the salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe from The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!