When you host a cocktail party, a menu with a selection of hors d’oeuvres that can be prepared in advance, such as this easy canapé recipe, is essential. If you like, put the cooked tenderloin in the freezer for about 15 minutes for easier slicing.
- 1 1/2-lb. piece beef tenderloin, trimmed of fat and sinew
- 1 Tbs. chopped brined green peppercorns
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 green onions, white and light green portions, chopped, plus sliced green onion for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 24 baguette slices, each 1/4 inch thick
- For the horseradish cream:
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Entertaining, by Edited by Chuck Williams (Oxmoor House, 2004).