The traditional pho takes hours to make, and, honestly, who has hours to make dinner? This version comes together quickly and has all the deep, rich flavors you would expect in a traditional recipe. The broth simmers for only 30 minutes, and the addition of rich miso, lemongrass and hoisin add tremendous flavor. Perfect for a rainy winter night, or to chase away a cold.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons hoisin (you can find this in the Asian aisle of your grocery store)
- ½ tablespoons fish sauce (look for this in the Asian aisle, too!)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and cut in half
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon brown miso
- 2 bok choy, chopped
- 1 package rice noodles (I used phad thai noodles, 14-ounce package)
- Optional garnishes: bean sprouts, sliced jalapeno, chopped fresh cilantro, chili oil, chopped fresh mint leaves, fresh lime wedges
Lay the chicken thighs on a rimmed sheet pan. Season with cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and rub (or use a silicon brush) to combine the oil with the spices on the chicken. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, about 1 inch.
In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned on all sides, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, hoisin, fish sauce, lemongrass, star anise and brown miso. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the pot and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Right before serving, add the rice noodles to a large bowl. Bring water to boil in a kettle and when the water is boiling, pour over the noodles. With tongs, gently toss the noodles in the boiling water. They will cook VERY quickly, and are done when they have the consistency of pasta noodles.
Divide the noodles among individual bowls, add chicken pho to the noodles, and sprinkle your favorite toppings over the pho.