Hearty soup for a cold night. Gluten Free.
- 5” piece galangal (Thai ginger)
- 10 kaffir lime leaves (or 1 TBS lime zest and ¼ cup lime juice)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, maitake, or any other Asian mushroom)
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 2 TBL fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, cut into large pieces
- Chili oil
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
In a large saucepan, bring ginger, lime leaves, lemongrass (smash pieces with back of large knive) and broth to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld together, about 10-15 minutes. Strain broth into a large bowl, discard solids. Wipe out saucepan, and pour broth back into it.
Add chicken to the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add mushrooms and simmer. Stir occasionally, skimming any fat off the top, until chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Mix in coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Pour soup into bowls and serve with chili oil, cilantro and lime wedges.