When you're looking for a savory dish for brunch, look no farther than this spicy and cheesy torta.
- 16 14-inch-thick baguette slices, cut on slight diagonal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup diced drained roasted red peppers (from 12-ounce jar)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Butter 8x8x2-inch baking dish. Place 8 baguette slices in bottom of dish; press 2 baguette slices onto each side.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach; toss until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to strainer; cool. Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer to medium bowl.
Heat same pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Sauté until cooked through, breaking up, about 7 minutes. Mix into spinach; mix in 1 cup cheese and peppers.
Spread atop baguette slices in bottom of dish.
Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in last 4 ingredients. Pour over spinach mixture and stir lightly with fork to distribute evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over.
Bake torta until puffed and golden and center is set, about 55 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.