This is a mac and cheese for grown-ups. It is not the ooey-gooey comfort food of your childhood, but something a little more refined that just so happens to be cheesy and crispy.
For this baked pasta recipe, sweet, roasted cauliflower and onions are paired with salty Parmesan and buttery Gouda and topped with a crispy Ritz cracker crust. It can be served as a simple vegetarian dinner or as a side dish for roast chicken or grilled steak.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound pasta, such as shells, pipe rigate, or rigatoni
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) finely grated Parmesan
- 1 cup milk, whole or 2%
- Zest from one lemon (about 1 tablespoon zest)
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
- 3 cups (8 ounces) grated Gouda
- For the cracker topping:
- 14 (1 small sleeve) Ritz crackers, or similar buttery crackers
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Compliments from Simply Recipes.