Here come ALL the strawberry recipes! Spring means strawberries, so to kick off strawberry season I've got a gorgeous lightly citrusy, moist (so hate this word, but it does describe this cake perfectly) cake. It's a citrus olive oil cake with sweetened strawberries and whipped ricotta. The cake is topped off with slightly sweetened strawberries and lightly whipped ricotta. This is seriously the perfect cake for breakfast, brunch, dessert after your Summer bbq.......or an afternoon snack. What I'm saying is there is ALWAYS a right time for a slice.
Citrus Olive Oil Cake with Sweetened Strawberries and Whipped RicottaPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sweet Strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 chamomile tea bags (optional)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Honey Ricotta
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- zest and juice of 1 Meyer (or regular) lemon
Looking for substitutions?
Instead of strawberries, use raspberries or blueberries
Instead of ricotta, use mascarpone
No time to make the whipped ricotta? Spoon a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream or mascarpone on top of the cake.