Growing up, I had many influences when it came to cooking --- my grandmother, my mother and my French godmother. This was the first recipe my godmother taught me. I was too little to reach the top of the counter, so she would pull over a step stool and we would make this together. Crisp apples are baked with a puff pastry crust and the butter and sugar create a rich caramel, and the creme fraiche cuts through the sweetness perfectly.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 4-6 pounds Honeycrisp, Braeburn or Golden Delicious apples (6-10, depending on size of pan), peeled, cored and halved lengthwise
- 1 stick unsalted European butter (like Plugra or Kerrygold)
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar