This chimichurri roasted chicken recipe is prepared by roasting a whole chicken with chimichurri butter.
- 4-5 lbs whole chicken
- Chimichurri butter:
- 1 cup of butter, 2 sticks or 8 ounces, room temperature
- 1 bunch of parsley, leaves only
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh oregano, use leaves only
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4-5 green onions or scallion stalks
- 1-2 teaspoons of chili pepper flakes or 1 small red hot pepper, seeded and deveined, diced
- 3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 425F.
For the chimichurri butter:
Place all the ingredients expect for the butter in a small food processor and pulse until the herbs are finely chopped.
Add the butter and continue pulsing until you have smooth creamy mix. Can be made ahead of time, but should be brought back to room temperature before using to prepare the roasted chicken.
For the chicken:
Rub about half of the butter chimichurri all over chicken, including under the skin. Save the rest of the chimichurri butter for basting and for serving.
You can roast the chicken alone, or, layer the bottom of your pan with a mixture of cut up potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips. Cut the veggies in large chunks so they don't burn while cooking.
Bake the chicken (uncovered) at 425F for 30 minutes.
Lower heat to 400F, baste chicken and bake for another 60 minutes, basting every 15-20 minutes.
During the last 5-10 minutes, add additional chimichurri butter or chimichurri sauce on top.
TIP: Make the chimichurri marinade ahead of time.
TIP #2: This recipe also works with chicken legs, thighs, or use a whole chicken that has already been cut into pieces. Just be sure whatever chicken you use, it is skin-on, bone-in for maximum flavor.