A favorite on menus throughout Tuscany is arista alla Fiorentina—a prime cut of pork that is rubbed or stuffed with an aromatic blend of Mediterranean herbs and roasted to savory perfection. This classic dish derives its name from the Greek word aristos, meaning "the best".
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sea salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast, about 5 lb.
- 8 oz. dried figs, halved
- 1 cup sweet vermouth or water, warmed
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbs. veal demi-glace
- 2 tsp. fig balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room