My mom made this when I was a kid and I didn't like vegetables. This soup changed everything.
- 2 1/2 lb beef sirloin
- 8 cups water
- 4 cubes instant beef bouillon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 dried bay leave
- 6 whole allspice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 16 oz. chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
In 8-quart stockpot or Dutch oven, combine first nine ingrediets.
Stir in bouillon, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer or until meat is tender.
Remove beef, allspice and bay leaves from broth. Skim and discard fat from broth. When meat is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
Return meat to broth. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.