This big salad, made with cooked chicken, is perfect for a hot night when you don’t want to cook. Bold chipotle chilies perk up the lemon-basil dressing. Serve it with crusty bread and finish with cooling slices of fresh melon.
- 1 roast chicken, about 2 lb.
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, with sauce
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Persian or Asian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 to 2 romaine hearts, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large avocado, firm but ripe, pitted, peeled and diced