Sweet mango is a light, healthy and delicious salad addition, and pairs extremely well with this sweet spicy dressing. Grilled shrimp and mango go together like peanut butter and jelly. This versatile salad is perfect for a light dinner, side dish or lunch.
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Serrano pepper, thinly sliced (no seeds or white pith if you want less spice)
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño chile, minced, including seeds (omit seeds and white pith for less heat)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lime wedges
- Wood skewers
In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar and lime juice until sugar is dissolved. Add the serrano chile, shallot, cilantro, and mint. Stir the ingredients together, then add the mangoes, tossing gently.
Beginning at thick end, insert a skewer lengthwise through each shrimp to straighten. Transfer to the shrimp skewers to a sheet pan. I like to put about 4-5 shrimp on each skewer, depending on their size.
Heat bbq, grill or grill pan. Whisk together oil, jalapeño, cumin, and salt, then brush on skewered shrimp until well coated. Grill shrimp, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. This cooking time will be about the same whether you are cooking on an outdoor grill, or on a grill pan on your stove.
Toss mango salad again and divide among 4 plates. Arrange a skewer on top of each mound of salad on each plate. If you want, you can also remove the shrimp from the skewers and lay them on top of the salad.