Summer Potluck Parties can strike fear in the heart of everyone. Never fear when you bring this shrimp and orzo salad. With the roasted shrimp, burst of summer tomatoes, fresh herbs and hit of citrus you will be queen of the potluck!
- Kosher salt
- Good olive oil
- 3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well. It’s important to pour the dressing over the orzo while the orzo is hot – this will ensure the orzo takes in all the flavors of the dressing.
Meanwhile, while the orzo is cooking, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!
Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully to combine.
Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight.
If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.Recipe from Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten