Beef brisket lends itself surprisingly well to tacos. Maybe it's because the brisket is slow cooked for 8 hours in spices. Or it might be because the long cooking time transforms an inexpensive tough cut of meat into a "melt in your mouth it's so packed with flavor" cut of meat. Either way, the brisket elevates these tacos beyond the ordinary to the extraordinary.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds beef brisket
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 whole chipotle chile pepper en adobo from one can Not one can.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup molasses
- For serving:
- Small soft tortillas. I suggest some slaw, pickled onions and/or pickled jalapeños.