It’s hard to pick my favorite part of this green enchilada soup, the ease of its preparation is definitely up there, but I think my favorite part is that it's the perfect base for your favorite toppings. It’s fabulous the way it is, especially if you’re feeling under the weather (a great alternative to chicken noodle), but it’s extra great with toppings. I chose tortilla strips and cilantro, but cheese, avocado, diced tomato, and jalapeño would all be perfect too.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) your favorite green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- Optional toppings: Cheese, cilantro, crispy tortilla strips, chopped avocado, hot sauce
This soup is extremely adaptable which is one of the best things about it. Add a can of black beans, a cup of frozen corn, or a can of fire roasted tomatoes for extra depth. Want an extra hit of spice, add a tablespoon of cumin and chili powder. The skies the limit when it comes to modifying this dish.