Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup -- This hearty soup doubles down on the protein with both sausage AND beans, with some greens thrown in for good measure. Perfect for the cool, fall weather!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo, casing removed if needed, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 14.5-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften then add the garlic and continue sautéing until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the chorizo and cook until the chorizo is golden, about 6–8 minutes. Then add kale, turmeric, curry powder and chili flakes and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add beans and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors meld, 15–20 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among bowls, sprinkle with parsley. I like to serve the soup with lemon wedges alongside to squeeze over the soup and add a touch of acidity.