Since it seems like winter will never leave, how about recipe for a soup that will warm you up even on the coldest night. It’s a one pot wonder with sausage and lentils, coconut milk mellows out the spice and kale simply increases the health benefits.
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound spicy sausage, ground (you can also use 1/2 pound spicy and 1/2 pound regular)
- 1 cup French green lentils (you can also use red lentils
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup kale, chopped
In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Sauté until they start to soften a bit, about 5 minutes. Add
the sausage and continue to cook, breaking up the sausage as it cooks, until the sausage is nicely browned. Add the lentils and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook according to the instructions on your lentil package. You want to cook your lentils until they are still al dente, just a bit of give, but not mushy.
Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Once it thickens a bit, stir in the kale and let it all simmer away for about 5 minutes.