It's pretty standard to cook potatoes in boiling water, then drain them and add cream and butter and salt. And that way is good. But there's a MUCH MUCH better way.
Cooking potatoes IN cream and aromatics means you will get the creamiest, butteriest (not sure it's a word, but just go with me on this one) best mashed potatoes in the entire world.
- 4 pounds Yukon potatoes (the golden ones), peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, optional
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heavy cream (I always buy the 32 ounce size -- you won't use all of it, but there will be extra to use in other recipes)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (use European for extra creaminess)
- Helpful kitchen tools
- cheesecloth or tea infuser