The extra minutes it will take to put this lasagna together is worth it. Individual lasagnes are built by combining marscapone cheese and corn, along with ricotta and Parmesan and then layering with fresh pasta. The result is light, creamy, cheesy and perfect for lasagne loving vegetarians!
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Butter, for ramekins
- 12 lasagna sheets
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, at room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely grated Pecorino Romano, plus 1/2 cup (2 ounces)
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Provolone
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Arrange an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 6 (10-ounce) ramekins or use a muffin tin. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain. Using 2 cooked lasagna noodles in an "x" shape, line each ramekin or muffin tin, pushing the noodles gently into the bottom, allowing any excess pasta to overhang on the sides.
- In a food processor, blend the corn, cream and garlic until chunky. Add the mascarpone, 1 cup of the Pecorino Romano cheese, the lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add the basil and pulse until just combined.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the filling into the bottom of each ramekin or muffin tin and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Provolone. Fold 2 overhanging pieces of pasta over the filling, (trim the ends of the pasta with scissors, if necessary). Add another 1/4 cup of filling to each ramekin and top with another 2 tablespoons Provolone. Fold over the 2 remaining overhanging pieces of pasta.
- Spoon any remaining filling on top of the pasta.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano and drizzle with olive oil. Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet or muffin tin and bake until the tops are golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve: Run a knife around the edge of the ramekins or muffin tins to loosen the lasagnas.