Tyler Florence has a terrific restaurant in San Francisco called Wayfare Tavern. It’s warm and cozy and the food is very earthy. These crisp roasted brussels sprouts with spicy pancetta and syrupy balsamic vinegar are inspired by a dish that cookbook author Ina Garten ate there. If the sprouts are very large, cut them into quarters.
- 1 1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through the core
- 4 oz. pancetta, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1 Tbs. syrupy balsamic vinegar (see note)
You can buy aged balsamic vinegar that’s syrupy—and very expensive—or you can boil good balsamic vinegar until reduced to half its volume and it will become syrupy as well.