Harissa has a deep, smokey heat that is tempered with the addition of the sweet maple syrup. The carrots are roasted and become carmelized, then sprinkled with fresh parsley. This side dish cuts through rich, winter dishes and is a great side dish to serve with meat or chicken.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Harissa (you can find this in the International section of your grocery store)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ pounds small rainbow carrots, scrubbed, tops trimmed to about ½”, halved
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- Fresh Italian-leaf parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450°.
Whisk garlic, oil, maple syrup, Harissa, and cumin seeds in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Add carrots and lemon to the bowl and toss to coat them with the maple syrup/Harissa mixture. Spread carrots in a single layer on a large roasting pan: season with salt and pepper.
Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are fork tender and lemons are caramelized, about 35–40 minutes.
Before serving, sprinkle carrots with finely chopped fresh parsley. Serve the carrots straight from the oven, or room temperature.