Chicken is cooked in coconut milk which adds a richness and creaminess and cuts through the spice to make this a weeknight favorite in my house.
- 3 tablespoons Ghee, recipe follows (or use store bought)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips (you can also use chicken thighs)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
Heat the ghee in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are very soft, about 15 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon stick, and red pepper flakes and give it a good stir; season with salt and pepper. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring it back to a simmer; cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and half the lemon juice; continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls over rice and garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.Recipe from Tyler Florence