The fennel provides the crunch which is nice contrast to the juicy and tart grapefruit. No salad, in my opinion, is complete without creamy avocado and the citrus dressing ties the whole dish together.
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 large pink grapefruits, peel and white pith removed
- 1 pound fennel bulbs, trimmed, cut into paper-thin slices
- 2 large avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into thin slices
- 2 cups arugula or spinach (you can also use your favorite salad mix)
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
Put all dressing ingredients in a medium size mason jar. Shake vigorously to blend. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Using sharp knife, cut between membranes of grapefruits to get just the segments.
Place the arugula (or spinach or favorite salad mix) in a large salad bowl, and place fennel slices on top. Arrange grapefruit segments and avocado slices on top of the fennel. Give the dressing a good shake and then drizzle over salad. Garnish with toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.