This is also called Texas caviar, and my theory for the "caviar" name is, regardless of what you call it, this is a dressed up fancier version of salsa. It is more than just tomatoes, it has beans, avocado, and corn. The ingredients are all tossed together in lime juice and a touch of vinegar. But it does have something in common with "regular" salsa --- it still goes great with chips!
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (17-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large avocado
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Add all ingredients, except for the avocado, to a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and chill overnight.
Before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper, or more lime juice as necessary. Peel and cube the avocado, and gently toss in with the rest of the ingredients.
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen