Greek flavors transform quinoa into a side dish that will make everyone stand up and pay attention. Shred up 1 rotisserie chicken and add it to the salad to transform it from side dish to dinner.
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped to a paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives (or the Greek olive mix -- you can find at your local grocery store's olive bar)
- 2 green onions (green and pale green part), thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
- If making this for dinner (and not a side dish), 1 precooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, garlic and some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the salad to allow the flavors to meld.
Rinse the quinoa in a strainer until the water runs clear. Combine the quinoa, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl, fluff with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Add the almonds, olives, green onions, red onions, cucumbers, Feta and dressing and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or serve at room temperature. The longer it sits the better the flavor.
If using the chicken, add the chicken right before serving.