Ok, I know what you’re thinking.
This coleslaw LOOKS like ALL the other coleslaws out there. So what makes it so special? What makes the flavor different?
The “not so secret” secret ingredient is a dash of fish sauce. Now, I know what you’re thinking, but I pinky promise you your coleslaw won’t taste fishy AT ALL.
Fish sauce is a staple in Asian cuisine and adds salt and umami. What’s umami? It’s that deep, woodsy flavor you find in miso soup, pho, mushrooms dishes and some curries.
This dish shows the magic that can happen when you add one little ingredient. Just one that takes the flavor of a dish in a whole different direction.
RECIPES THIS WOULD TASTE INCREDIBLE WITH:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 cup shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded romaine
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- slivered almonds or walnuts, optional to garnish.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and fish sauce. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, mix with the dressing and let sit for 20-30 minutes before serving. If not serving right away, refrigerate for up to 5 hours. If using nuts, add right before serving.