This salad is quick to put together and filled with the tangy flavor of mustard and juicy tomatoes.
- 1 cup lentils (any kind of lentil will work!)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse seeded mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lentils and turn the heat down to medium. Cook until the lentils are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Drain the lentils and place them in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a small bowl, or glass measuring pitcher, whisk together both mustards, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Pour the vinaigrette over the lentils, and gently toss in the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and feel free to add more lemon juice or olive oil. My family likes things extra lemony, so I usually end up adding more lemon juice.
Set the salad aside for 1/2 hour to allow all the flavors to blend together. You don’t have to refrigerate it – this salad tastes delicious at room temperature!