This bean salad pairs great with the ribs -- a little Southwestern flair that comes together quickly. Make it early in the day, so the flavors of the dressing have a chance to meld with with beans.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can white beans
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen, if using frozen make sure it’s defrosted)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cumin Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
For the salad: Rinse the beans well. In a large bowl, combine beans, onion, corn, bell peppers and cilantro. Toss with dressing, cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
For the dressing: I like to save spice jars and use them to make dressing. You can also use small Mason jars. Put all the dressing ingredients into either a spice jar or Mason jar. Shake, shake and shake some more. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Inspired by a recipe from The New Basics Cookbook