These tacos are stuffed with cumin-spiced potatoes and fried until they're impossibly crunchy.
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored
- 2 red jalapeños, stemmed
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, plus 2 cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ cup canola oil
- 18 corn tortillas
- Thinly sliced green cabbage and tomatoes, and crumbled cotija cheese, for serving
Puree cilantro, oregano, sugar, tomatoes, jalapeños, smashed garlic, and ⅔ cup water in a b
Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Add minced garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and cumin, and mash until smooth. Set potato mixture aside.
Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Spread 1 heaping tbsp. potato mixture over half of each tortilla, and fold over to form a taco. Working in batches, add tacos to oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes.
Stuff cabbage, tomatoes, and cotija into tacos; drizzle with salsa before serving.