This dish is like fall on a platter -- tender chicken cooked with apples and onions in a light cream sauce. Parsnips and carrots are roasted to sweet caramelized goodness and are the perfect side dish.
- 6 apples (Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, JohnnyGold….you can use a combination or just one type)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (you can also use thighs, legs or a combination – 2 pounds, total of chicken)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup heaving whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Rinse the chicken and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place them in a bowl and pour lemon juice over the slices. Toss to coat the slices with lemon juice.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and sauté the apples over medium low heat. When the apples start to soften, after about 5 minutes, sprinkle with sugar. Turn the heat up and cook the apples over medium high heat until they are golden brown on all sides. Stir the apples while they’re cooking to prevent them from sticking. Set the apples aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and then melt the remaining butter in the same skillet. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add onion to the skillet, cover and cook and until it’s softened and starts to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Uncover, raise heat to high, add the vinegar. The vinegar will bubble and the mixture will start to get thick like syrup. When it looks like syrup, whisk in the cream and stock.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and simmer in the sauce. Turn the chicken in the sauce a few times, so the sauce coats the chicken. Cook until the chicken is done and the sauce has thickened so it coats the back of a spoon, about 5-8 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a platter, but leave the sauce in the skillet.
- Add the apples to the sauce and cook over medium heat until the apples are heated through. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.
Inspired from New Basics Cookbook
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!