This healthy soup has a nice kick of spice and the crunch of leeks adds a great texture. Looking to get healthy in the New Year? Then this is the soup for you!
Carrot and Coconut Soup with Crispy LeeksPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, 1 chopped, 1 thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (you can also use vegetable broth)1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- Harissa (you can also use Siracha or your favorite hot sauce)
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, apple, onion, chopped leek, garlic, and ginger. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5–7 minutes. Once the vegetables soften, add broth, coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, 20–25 minutes. You’ll know the vegetables are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork. Take the Dutch oven off the heat and with an immersion blender puree the soup. You can also puree the soup, in batches, in a blender.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced leek and cook, stirring often, until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season generously with salt.
Serve soup topped with Harissa (or Siracha, or your favorite hot sauce) and crispy leeks.
Recipe by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen