Tender chicken is breaded then topped with fresh, homemade tomato sauce and slices of mozzarella, then baked. My kiddos favorite Italian meals, because who doesn't love chicken covered in tomatoes and cheese?
- 2 (28 0z.) cans san marzano tomatoes
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Chianti (red wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large whole bonless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 beaten eggs
- 3 cups unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (sauce, warm)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzerella, sliced
- For the Sauce: Puree the tomatoes. Heat oil and add garlic and red pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 the tomatoes, simmer for 20 minutes. Add remaining sauce, wine and spices. Simmer for two hours, uncovered. Makes 4 cups.
- For the chicken: Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap until flat, about 1/4 inch in thickness. Place the milk, flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt. Dip each breast in the following order; milk, flour (shake off excess), eggs and bread crumbs (press down) firmly while coating with bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter wth he olive oil over medium-high heat until sizzling. Arrange the chicken breasts in the pan without crowding, cooking in batches if necessary. Reduce the heat, and cook the chicken until golden brown and the juices run clear when poked with a sharp fork, 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Place 1/2 cup of the warm tomato sauce in he bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add the chicken breasts, cover with remaining tomato suace, and top with mozzerella. Transfer to oven and cook 15 minutes. Broil an additonal 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!