Once you make this salad, trust me, you'll make it again and again, and, yep, again.
There's an irresistible balance of flavor and texture between the anise and crunch of the fennel, the tart grapefruit, and the creamy avocado.
And the citrus dressing ties everything together.
It's a salad that goes really well with anything off the grill -- burgers, steaks, chicken, or fish. And if you can't find grapefruit, you can use blood orange, apples or mango.
Citrus Salad with Fennel and AvocadoPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 large pink grapefruits, peel and white pith removed
- 1 pound fennel bulbs, trimmed, cut into paper-thin slices
- 2 large avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into thin slices
- OPTIONAL: 2 cups arugula or spinach (you can also use your favorite salad mix), toasted nuts (walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts, hazelnuts)
Put all dressing ingredients in a medium size mason jar. Shake vigorously to blend. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Using sharp knife, cut between membranes of grapefruits to get just the segments.
If you're using arugula, spinach or lettuce, put that in a salad bowl, add fennel and grapefruit.
Toss with some of the dressing.
Divide among 6 plates, arrange grapefruit segments and avocado slices on top of the salad on each plate.
Add an extra drizzle of dressing, and sprinkle toasted nuts on top.