These crunchy, salty fritters are a little bit healthy.....and a little bit not. A great way to get your kids to eat their veggies is to deep fry them!
Deep Fried Squash Fritters
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 25 minutes minutes
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt or Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 scallion (green and white parts) thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Pepper
- 4 oz bleu cheese, crumbled
- Zest of 1 orange (or substitute with the zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- Canola Oil for deep-frying
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Roast on a foil-lined sheet pan for about 45 minutes. You want the squash to be very soft and easily lift away from the skin when scrapped with a fork. Let cool. With a fork scrape squash to remove long strands and place on a towel. The squash will have quite a bit of liquid, so you will need to wrap the squash in a kitchen towel (or you can use paper towels) and wring as much liquid out as you can. Be sure to hold over a bowl when you wring out the squash.
- After you get all the liquid out of the squash, place the squash in a medium bowl and combine it with the sage, grated nutmeg, scallion, garlic, pepper, bleu cheese, and all but 1 teaspoon of the orange zest. Then stir in the egg and flour and mix well until combined.Add the canola oil to a large shallow heavy saucepan -- you want the oil to come up the side of the saucepan about 1/2 inch, or enough so that when all the fritters are in the pan, the oil comes halfway up their sides. You don’t want the fritters to be totally immersed in the oil, or they’ll be too greasy. Place the pan over medium-high heat. Oil should be heated to 360-370 degrees for frying.
- Fill a ¼ cup measure with the uncooked fritter mixture, and then fry in the hot oil in batches. I like to form several of the uncooked fritters and then line them up on a cookie sheet. Then I can cook them in continuous batches without having to stop and form more. Cook until the fritters are golden brown on each side, 4 to 6 minutes. You can turn the fritters gently with tongs to ensure they brown evenly on all sides. After the fritters have cooked for a couple minutes add some fresh sage leaves, but be careful because they will pop. Fry sage leaves for a couple minutes and remove with fritters. Drain fried fritters on paper towels.
- Transfer the fritters to plates and garnish with the reserved orange zest, fried sage leaves, and some coarse sea salt or kosher salt.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!