Who knew Caesar Salad could be healthy? This version is so packed with flavor you won't remember it's good for you, too!
Healthy Caesar SaladPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4-cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2-teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small garlic clove (you can add another if you like it extra garlicky!)
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use Wizard's gluten-free brand. You can also substitute regular Worcestershire sauce)
- 2 teaspoons capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved or grated, to garnish
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 small/medium bunch lacinato kale, leaves only (5 cups chopped)
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce (10 cups chopped)
- FOR THE ROASTED CHICKPEA "CROUTONS"
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Soak cashews in a bowl of water overnight, or for at least a few hours. Drain and rinse.
For the dressing
Add the cashews and all other dressing ingredients (except salt) into a high speed blender. Blend on high until the dressing is super smooth. You can add a splash of water to help thin it out if you have trouble blending it. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the chickpea croutons
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Place chickpeas in a clean tea towel and rub dry (it's okay if some skins fall off -- that's what you want!).
Place onto large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle on oil and roll around to coat. Toss to coat.
Roast for 20 minutes at 400°F, then gently roll the chickpeas around in the baking sheet.
Roast for another 10 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden.
Remove from the oven and add sprinkle on the garlic powder, salt, and optional cayenne while the chickpeas are nice and hot.
Prepare the lettuce:
De-stem the kale and then finely chop the leaves. Wash and dry in a salad spinner. Place into extra large bowl. Chop up the romaine into bite-sized pieces. Rinse and then spin dry. Place into bowl along with kale.
When ready to serve, toss the kale and romaine with the dressing and garnish with chickpeas.
Lightly Adapted from Oh She Glows.