This pasta dish has spicy sausage in a creamy tomato sauce......special enough for company, easy enough for every night!
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) San Marzano crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound dry penne
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large, deep skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, just until the garlic starts to turn golden, but not brown. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat. Break up the meat as it cooks, so you no longer have big chunks. Cook the sausage until it’s completely cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, scoop out the sausage and add it to the tomato sauce.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10-12 minutes. Drain the pasta and add to the tomato sauce. Then add the cream and vodka and toss to combine. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Let it sit for 2-4 minutes to allow the pasta to absorb the sauce. Add the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the pasta in a large serving bowl and garnish with some Parmesan cheese.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!