Potato Au Gratin (Side Dish)
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 5 minutes minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a large casserole dish. You can use a 9 x 13 or a large oval dish.
- In a buttered casserole dish, layer 1/2 of the potatoes, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the garlic and 1/2 of both cheeses.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes, then the onion, garlic and sprinkle both cheeses evenly on top.
- I like to use a large plastic measuring cup to mix together cream and milk. Use a 4 cup to make sure you have enough room to mix the cream and milk.
- Pour the cream mixture evenly over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the gratin is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and turn on your broiler.
- Move rack to a few inches from the broiler. Place casserole dish under broiler and broil for about 5 minutes, until the top turns golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before dishing up. Letting it stand gives everything a chance to cool and firm up, so when you cut into it you get a gorgeous cheesy goodness, and not a runny mess all over your plate. I know it's SO hard to wait, but I promise it's worth it!!
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!