Quinoa in a taco, you ask? I say, YES! It's hearty and provides a filling alternative to meat, plus it's crunchy. Yep, we toast it up to a nice, golden, crunchy brown and top it with feta for another twist on tradition.
- 3 tablespoons canola and grapeseed oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 medium red onions sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch cumin seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
- 16 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup cooked quinoa cooled
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Your favorite salsa for serving
- Firm-ripe avocado for serving
- Heat half of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan or cast iron pan in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Bean and onion mixture can be made through this step up to two days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container and heat up before serving.
- Stir in cumin, beans, and stock or water and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any browned bits. Cook until the mixture is simmering and the liquid is reduced so it's just coating the bottom of the pan. Taste and add more salt or cumin, as desired. Set aside.
- Use the quinoa as is or make it crunchy by doing the following: place a large nonstick or cast iron pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil shimmers, add the quinoa and spread out so that it evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s golden brown (about 15 minutes). Pull the quinoa off the burner or out of the oven just as it’s golden brown then let it cool in the pan.
- To toast more than 2 cups, spread it on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook in a 400°F oven, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Heat up tortillas, double them so you use two tortillas for each taco, then top with onion-bean mixture, a few spoonfuls of quinoa, and a crumble of cheese, some salsa and avocado and serve.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!