Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes (Side Dish)
No ratings yet
Total Time: 50 minutes minutes
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (you can use half and half if you’re feeling extra decadent)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I love using Kerrygold for extra richness)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, measure the milk and butter into a microwave safe pitcher. Warm the milk and butter so the butter melts, but make sure it doesn't boil. Set aside until the potatoes are done.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander.
- Using a masher, mash the potatoes really well (or use a food mill or ricer for extra smooth potatoes). As soon as the potatoes are mashed, slowly whisk in enough of the hot milk/butter mixture to make the potatoes very creamy. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and the sour cream and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and serve hot.
From Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!