Instead of the usual Chex Mix, up your game with this sweet and spicy mixture.
- 4 cups large raw nuts (I like to use pecans, almonds, and cashews. Use your favorite nuts.)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cups unsalted pretzel twists (if you can’t find unsalted, you can use salted pretzels. If you use salted pretzels be sure to cut the amount of added salt in ½)
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Line a large cookie sheet with foil or parchment. Spread the nuts in an even layer and bake for about 10 minutes, turning the cookie sheet and stirring halfway through, just until the nuts are lightly roasted and become fragrant. Keep an eye on the nuts! As soon as they become fragrant they are done.
- While the nuts are toasting, in a large bowl stir together the melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. Add the warm nuts to the spice mixture, and stir until the nuts are completely coated. Then add in the pretzels and salt. Stiruntil thoroughly blended and coated, taking care not to crush the pretzels.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring twice during baking. Watch them carefully so that they don't burn.
- Remove the mixture from the oven and let everything cool completely before storing it.
- Store in an airtight container. The mixture should last about a week……but it’s doubtful this tasty mix will last that long!
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!