If you're still craving turkey, this is the dish for you! It's a fun riff on a chicken pot pie (feel free to use chicken if you're OVER turkey!), and is filled with rich, creamy goodness, veggies and, of course, turkey. Flakey, buttery puff pastry makes the perfect crust (and, bonus, you can use store bought!) for a one dish weeknight dinner!
Turkey Pot PiePrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 4 cups shredded turkey breast
- 5 tablespoons good quality olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsely
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into a small dice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup dry white vermouth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
In a medium bowl, mix together the turkey, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, shallots, lemon zest, and parsley; set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven. Sauté the mushrooms over medium-high heat until cooked through and lightly browned; transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a clean dutch oven; add leeks, carrots, and thyme and cook until vegetables begin to soften (about 8 minutes). Raise the heat slightly, add the dry vermouth, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add flour to the carrot mixture, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and cream, then simmer until the sauce thickens (about 10 minutes); remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Mix the cooled sauce with the lemon-parsley turkey, mushrooms, and frozen peas; divide the mixture between 4 mini-loaf pans.
Cut 4 pieces of puff pastry large enough to cover each loaf pan with 1/2 inch hanging over on each side. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Brush the tops of frozen pies with egg and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.