Tender veal is breaded and quickly browned and then finished off with a brown butter and caper sauce.
Veal Scallopini with Brown Butter and CapersPrint Grocery List Print Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound thin veal scallopini (less than 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained small capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat a 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until hot, then add oil and heat until it shimmers.
Meanwhile, stir together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, then pat veal dry and dredge in flour, knocking off excess.
Cook veal in 2 batches, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
Discard oil from skillet, then add butter and cook over medium heat, shaking skillet frequently, until browned and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, capers, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Return veal to skillet just to heat through, then sprinkle with parsley.