Why order takeout when you can have this dish on the table in under 20 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- 5 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced or grated ginger
- ¼ cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar (or Chinese rice wine)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or Chinese black vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let stand for at least 10 minutes. While the chicken is marinating prepare the rest of the ingredients. This recipe moves quickly, and you won’t want to stop to chop or dice.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, and Sichuan pepper/red pepper flakes. Stir until the sugar and cornstarch is dissolved and set aside.
- To avoid smoking out your kitchen, now would be a great time to turn on your fan. Stir-frying dried chilis (or the red pepper flakes) on high heat can get a little smoky! Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. When a small drop of water sizzles and evaporates on contact your pan is ready. Add the oil and swirl to coat the base. Add the chilis and stir-fry for about 30 seconds, until the chilis have just begun to blacken and the oil is slightly fragrant. This same technique works if your using red pepper flakes. Add the chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the sauce and mix to coat the other ingredients. Stir in the peanuts and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, sprinkle the scallion greens on top, and serve.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!