I love the addition of the crunchy pine nuts.
Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower Au Gratin
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 30 minutes minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed, quartered lengthwise through core
- 1 1 1/2-to 1 3/4- pound head of cauliflower, trimmed, cut into small florets
- 2 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Fill large bowl with ice and cold water. Cook brussels sprouts in large pot of generously salted boiling water 2 minutes. Add cauliflower to same pot; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain. Transfer vegetables to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
- Combine cream, shallots, and sage in large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; stir until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cool. Stir in pine nuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; arrange half of vegetables in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1 1/2 cups Parmesan. Arrange remaining vegetables evenly over, then sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups Parmesan. Pour cream mixture evenly over.
- Breadcrumb topping and gratin can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cover gratin with foil. Bake covered 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle breadcrumb topping over and bake uncovered 15 minutes longer.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!