Buttery cookies flavored with peppermint, shaped into Candy Canes....a festive treat for the holidays
Candy Cane Cookies
No ratings yet
Total Time: 1 hour hour 10 minutes minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus an extra 1/4 cup1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg, peppermint extract, vanilla, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly blend sifted flour into mixture in several small additions. Beat until just combined. If the dough is too sticky and wet, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove half the dough from the bowl, place in a separate bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel. The kitchen towel will prevent the dough from drying out as you work. Add red food coloring into the half remaining in the bowl and mix until the coloring is evenly distributed throughout the dough. Cover the red dough with a damp kitchen towel. Use a floured teaspoon to measure 1 teaspoon each of white and red dough for each cookie. On a lightly floured surface roll each piece of dough into a 4” rope shape. Place a red and white rope side-by-side, press together lightly and twist to form a spiral. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Gently curve top down to form handle of a candy cane.
- Bake until set, about 9 minutes.Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheet. Cool on a rack.
Have you made this recipe?I'd love to know! Leave a comment or recipe rating and tag me @amenuforyou on social media!